Monday 26 March 2012

Alex Gooding - Theme # 5 Novelty

hey all.
so I don't know about you guys..but this theme had me pretty much totally stumped.  and for the last few weeks I've literally just been thinking "novel" + "tea" = novelty :)   But just to see if it would help I google dictionaries 'novelty'. Results? (one) is "state or quality of being novel, new or unique; newness" (relative) synonyms: uniqueness.  This combined with 'novel-tea' gave me my idea while I was laying in bed a night with a novel..and a cup of tea - something that, ironically, is not at all unique to me as I tend to do this almost every night.  I planned to shoot the next day and here's what I got.  Let me know what you think.  I tried to coordinate the top to the pink in the bed sheets so that it was all a sort of calm atmosphere, with no crazy bright colours except perhaps on the novel's cover.

I had an outtake where I accidentally shot before I was back in bed, but I sort of liked the shot when I saw it on my computer.  I also sort of like how they're not placed front and centre.  It being an outtake they sorta were just where they were naturally.  If people do like this one more and feel I should reshoot to capture more of the objects, I will definitely consider.

That's enough blurb from me.  let me know what you think please! :)




5 comments:

  1. NOOOOO I was going to do something similar! back to square one!

    Your photo is a bit odly coloured to me, assuming you have a window in your room, maybe try shooting with natural light (not sure if thelight you did use is natural, its a bit yellow to me) I like the first one best!

    -Kailee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks kailee!! yeah...i realized the yellow-ness after (it didn't look quite as yellow in photoshop, but i didn't want to say anything until someone else realized it thus confirming my thoughts!). and thanks! because i also preferred the first so unless there a sudden outburst of preference for others i will probs go with that one :) thanks lovely (and sorry about you going back to square one! lol) you could still do your take on the similar idea though! Alex G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the first and last are the most interesting but the props make it too obvious. I would lose them in both cases.

    -Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer the last image of them all! And I think if you are going to go with the third image, I would keep the props but otherwise it would just be an empty bed, which would then lose the entire concept of the photo. I also agree with the funky yellow colours! But I think once the white balance is fixed you will have a really nice colour palette. - Abby

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you should have the same 3 images (or the first and last one), but at different times of the day, so maybe the first one is shot at night, and the last image is shot in the morning??

    Giordana

    ReplyDelete