Sunday 11 March 2012

Cosmos - Locrin Stewart

Hey class!

So this'll take a wee bit of explanation. Otherwise it makes no sense what-so-ever.

I looked up Cosmos for alternate meaning on the web-o-web, trying to find something interesting. I discovered that the Greek mathematician, inventor, astronomer etcetera etcetera, Archimedes wrote in an essay titled The Sand Reckoner that he estimated the size of the cosmos to be no more than 10^14 stadia, a stadia being (approximately) 184.9 metres, which is approximately two light years in today's measurements (just shy of 20 trillion kilometres for anyone counting). I looked at this and decided to illustrate it in a somewhat abstract sense. The two spotlights represent the two light years he hypothesized, while the ruler in the middle addresses the unit of measure (vaguely, albeit, it's hard to capture 184.9 metres). The black space represents the unknown in the universe, both in Archimedes time, and in our own.
So there, it's somewhat silly, but also kind of interesting, to me at least. I might do a reshoot and try to get the numbers on the ruler, but I also kind of like it as an abstract concept as well, given that it is not precise and serves as more of a representation than anything else. I've also got ones where the lights are farther apart, but I kind of like the closeness found here, to me it speaks of the fact that people used to think the universe was so tiny, and even now understanding the true scale of it is terrifying.

Feedback, as always, would be appreciated.


7 comments:

  1. I appreciate the unique take on the concept and the abstractness of this. Though, I think it'd be interesting if you could see the light rays from the lights instead of just the two bulbs. I feel like it would help move the eye around more, it seems a little fragmented right now.

    - Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I saw was a face also
    So that might be something to consider if you're not going for the face look
    interesting info though

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off awesome concept! Yea I wouldn't have though of that at all. looks like a face to me but that is cool, lovely play on things, I think this is a strong piece. The play on negative space, I do have to say the best part is the little light flare on the left eye or "spot lamp"

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe the cosmos face is just sad and confused because it doesn't know it's own breadth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have liked to see the rays from the spots themselves as well. I think it would really add a lot to the image. I like the concept though.

    - Jordynn Colosi

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think the rays coming from the lights will make it look too fake/commercially. try getting some glow in the dark stars and hang them on a string and place a few of them in the picture, in the middle black/negative space.

    Giordana

    ReplyDelete