Wednesday 28 March 2012

Locrin Stewart - Novelty

Hey Class,

So for novelty, I also found the definition that it is anything new (as Alex talked about in her post about tea), but interpreted it quite differently. In my opinion, it's almost impossible to create something in art in general that is truly new, or has never been seen before. The image I created was my response to that. I partake in calligraphy, but, like pictures, it, too is limited to the confines of the letters, much like how photography is limited to what is in our surroundings, and what has come before.
The letters themselves are not perfect intentionally, because, in my opinion, the imperfections are one of the key aspects that differentiate images from one another, the small accidents.

I have a couple other pictures, and am considering straightening this one properly, but I think that the slightly off-kilter look to it adds to the "accident" kind of thing I mentioned earlier.

Feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated


5 comments:

  1. I would consider lightening it just the slightest bit! It will most likely print even darker than this, it would be nice if it were closer to a white than grey. -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just feel like it's not too interesting, maybe different / more theatrical lighting like abbey suggested would make it more alluring to look at, but I feel like this image could use something else.

    Giordana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it may look better not crooked, I know that you said you wanted it crooked, but see what it looks like

    & I agree with the lightening of the photo, it seems flat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to quote you, "The letters themselves are not perfect intentionally"... but they kind of are. All lines are parallel and its kind of pretty to look at. I think if they're unintentional they shouldn't be so seemingly thought out

    ReplyDelete