Wednesday 22 February 2012

Alex Haney- Family, a work still in progress...

VS. 


So I could have just spent 30 seconds in photoshop to burn in my shirt, but instead I chose to really piss myself off and go even more broke by spending six hours in the darkroom and using over 30 sheets of RC paper. And I'm still not happy with it, but I learned a ton. The scan of the negative which I edited in photoshop is obviously much different from the scanned print. For one, I really don't like the square crop. But the cage doesn't have 6x7 negative holders so I had to deal with it. 

I honestly can't leave my images without some dodging and burning, so I wanted to be able to learn how to do this effectively in the darkroom too. I wanted to do the same kind of dodging and burning on this image that I did in photoshop, plus more burning in of the detail of my shirt. So I dodged my eyes, burned in my mouth a tiny bit and then burned my torso a lot. It's far from perfect, but this is a lot better than my first attempt let me tell you! I had to keep reminding myself that I'd probably be grateful for the time spent once the prints for our next assignment are due...

EDIT: The more I look at the print, the more it is growing on me. They are really two completely different images. I like them both for different reasons. Let me know what you all think! 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that both images has their charm. The top one is a lot more vulnerable, and the bottom is harder because of the contrast. So it depends on which you like better. With the bottom, the highlights still look really blown out, I think you can try pulling that back.

    - Lucy Lu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lucy..
    I like the low contrast of the print, its not as tough and in your face as the scan, however i feel like in attempts to burn your shirt part of your lower face/neck look a touch too burned. Darkroom is quite time consuming... but so exciting when you finally achieve what you want :)
    - Bre

    ReplyDelete