Thursday 23 February 2012

Amanda Woolley, Theme #3 - High School


When someone says high school or starts to talk about it, I think of my good friend who passed away two months into grade 9, he was only 13 and it was about a month before his 14th birthday. In my photo I knocked over the 4 candle to symbolize that he never made it to the age of 14. As for the other candles surrounding the cake, there were many ceremonies and memorials for him after his death and we always would light a white candle in his memory.
Let me know what you think and if i can improve or should change anything! Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I think the concept is good, and has substance. But right now it looks like the cake is just floating in black and I think maybe there are more interesting ways to present it. Give it some thought.

    - L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. firstly, I'm really sorry to hear that experience!! dealing with something so you is not easy...in terms of the image, I agree with Lucy about the floating - however, i think it works. it sort of seems eerie and dark without being 'horror', and i think this is appropriate to represent the dark theme/concept - being as often do work to represent a concept, i think it works for this reason and i like it. as for the candles around it, i definitely think it depicts ceremony (albeit because it reminds me of pagan/wiccan circles seen in movies, etc, often formed with candles) a sad concept but i like how you've executed it - Alex G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda

    I don't think there is enough here to symbolize the loss of your friend...without your explanation, it is not evident. The cake also seems like a St.Patrick's Day cake. It may work in the larger context of a photo essay but cannot stand up on its own.

    -Robyn

    ReplyDelete