Saturday 11 February 2012

Alexandra Gooding Theme #2 Family


Okay, so this is a simple, but personal, 'family' portrait.  Most countries consider people of it's nationality as one big family - this is exceptionally true to West Indians, especially when we move away from our homelands.  So I present to you a Bajan (aka Barbadian) 'family'.  I wanted to get a few Bajans together and photograph them in, what I believe is, a typical 'family portrait' composition (parent's at back and child/children seated at front), with the twist of portraying family-by-culture/nationality as opposed to traditional family-by-blood/genetics.  I am considering reshooting as I'm not so sure about the crop...but I definitely won't have time to reshoot in time for Wednesday.  I'm still working on it and there's still a fair bit to be done.  If anyone has suggestions/feedback I'd really appreciate it.  Right now my main issue is trying to make the piece look whole, and the background is presenting some issues - any brighter and it's overpowering, any lighter and its sort of...'just there'.  So any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks guys!

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea, but I feel like there are some lighting/focus issues that could be resolved that would make the image a lot stronger.

    do whatchu feel.

    S-W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree with Andrew. To get everything in focus, especially if your dof is more narrow, focus 1/3 of the way into the picture. The focus goes 1/3 in front and 2/3 behind so that will give u a wider range. Also, pulling back some more I think would help and working on the posing so that they seem more unified. The guy in the front looks a bit disconnected. Not because of his skin colour, but because the two people in the back are positioned together in a more intimate way whereas he doesn't seem connected to the group. Maybe have one of the people in the back make body contact with him? Like rest their hand on his shoulder or something. Also, there are a lot of colours going on. Maybe if you coordinated their clothing more (like have them all wearing black or white shirts), or limited your colour pallette, the background would pop and stand out more? Just some thoughts.
    -Alex Haney

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading that comment, I realized that the front guy looks like he was photoshopped in to the image. Ha! that's awesome.

    S-W

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm.. okay well since your considering a re-shoot, well i think that what was already said is solid, the back ground to me is busy. takes away from what you want to do is showcase the family, the guy in front looks too tense and needs to relax, so get them in a very relaxed environment, Id try to play with them and get some dynamic interaction between the caractors. When i see this i think family sitcoms and what fun times they can have. (swings, at the diner table, watching tv, cooking) you have a world of possibilities, and you have a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the background, I think it harmonizes with what everyone is wearing and thats nice, definitely consider zooming out and getting everyone's bodies in, including the chair, i think that will make your composition a lot stronger. I agree with what people are saying about lighting tho.
    I like your take on family!

    -Kailee Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the composition and the homey feel of the wallpaper, buuut i think that the colour of the wall paper is distracting. could also be the busy pattern though!
    Giordie

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks guys! haven't got on here in a while.....at S-W - he was not photoshopped in! *bangs head in wall* definitely reshoot sometime! lol Alex - thanks for that tip about focussing..will definitely try to remember that! Kailee, I'll def consider the full out zoom, and to everyone about the wallpaper, sort of confirmed my thoughts....damn our flag! no not really...but it doesn't help me much in this assignment! haha thanks guyyyyys really appreciate it all! :)
    Alex Gooding

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with technical issues (focus, lighting) as well as design (background, composition). I'm also not sure how well the concept is coming across...I think you need to push this more. Right now it just looks like a portrait of 3 people...whether or not they are a family...nothing much curious about it.

    -Robyn

    ReplyDelete