Tuesday 14 February 2012

Matt Waples - Family




                                 Cropped

                                 Un-Cropped (Like I really need to explain this..) I took out the cheesy poof!


About a week or so ago I was taking the Subway from Kipling to Younge, and I happened to notice a couple sitting right next to me holding hands. At first nothing struck me as strange, but then I noticed the expressions that these people had. They seemed as if they wanted absolutely nothing to do with each other, not exchanging one word or glance throughout the Subway ride. I thought to myself, how can these people appear be so miserable with each other, but still hold hands as if it was all just okay. A few days ago, I decided that I had to re-create my memory for this theme. 

In a way, there is a personal reflection in the photograph, of my "current" family; my father and step mother, who could have just as easily have been the couple that I saw on the Subway that day.


**I think I'm gonna go with the cropped version. But I've gotta rescan the negative first!






10 comments:

  1. really great shot matt, and I love the story attached to it to, it gives the picture a very interesting perspective. I love the colours, temperature ext. buutt the only thing bugging me a bit is the left side, on the floor to the right of the seat, (aka the line on the ground), i'd get rid of that. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. dsalkdjas I can't even. Matt. I love this photo so much. Tbe lighting, the emptiness around them. Their expressions are spot on. I wouldn't change anything. You can try cropping out the ceiling just to see what it looks like. But yeah. It's wonderful.

    - Lucy Lu

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the girl's reflection! So good. Did they notice you taking the photo?

    - Lucy again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much guys!! I'm really happy with how it turned out too! I'll try taking that line out and see what I think (you mean the like white random thing, right? I think it was a cheese puff now that I think about it...)
    Lucy, I looked at it cropped quickly, I like it, but I like the bar and the light in there too. I'm gonna upload a cropped version to this post and I'll see what everyone thinks!
    And a clarification for everyone, this wasn't the couple, it was staged as I slightly mention in the post. I shot it with my Bronica on a tripod at something like 1/15th of a second, If I would have shot the couple I doubt I would have gotten a sharp photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd also edit out the people in the other train (to reinforce the emptiness in the relationship)!
    Giordiee

    ReplyDelete
  6. **and by people i mean only the head you can see in the window of the door lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how if you look at the reflection of the girl she is looking into the camera, but her real self is looking at the window, it's a detail that really adds something interesting to the photo !

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what! I don't think i like the cropped one, i think i like the full framed one better. Giordie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this Matt! It looks too good, I thought it was staged! I personally like the full frame one, too... but that may just be my personal distaste for those particular types of aspect ratios talking lol.
    -alex h.

    ReplyDelete