Wednesday 29 February 2012

High School


That's a high school in the background and I walk by it when I take the boys to daycare in the morning or take their baby brother for a stroll through the park. Based on my observations (which are not thorough or necessarily accurate) the kids that attend this school enjoy cursing at each other from opposite sides of the street and smoking while drinking beer in the park before/after class. At first I thought I was being overly sensitive their behaviour because I was with small children and didn't want to have to field questions like "What does 'F*&k off and die you $#@*$!  #*!¡-$*($^%' mean, Paige?" and "Why does it smell like skunks?" but I have now been past there a few times on my own and still feel slightly intimidated.

I realize that I am not a 9 year old boy and that there are scarier things in the world than teenagers (although that last statement might be debatable) I choose this shot because the posture of the young boy in the image mirrors the same trepidation that I feel when I walk past the school. He was there with his family and their dog but stood apart from them for a while to stare at the utilitarian building. Was he thinking of what awaits him after he leaves elementary school behind? Was he looking forward to it? Dreading it? Or was he staring off into the distance daydreaming about Beyblades and farts totally unaware of the school and its connotations. We'll never know.

All that being said:
IT'S OUT OF FOCUS AND I NEED TO RESHOOT

Thanks,
Paige

4 comments:

  1. Chuckled at your description! Too funny Paige! :)
    Really love the idea but I agree with the re-shoot. I like the framing you chose I just think it would be a stronger image if the boy was most in focus since he seems to be the main focus.

    - Alycia

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story behind this is really interesting to read/think about & I kind of like it the way it is ... haha
    BUT .. it would probably be even stronger if you reshot like you said
    The use of framing is really interesting and I think it works because it adds another layer to the photo - the school, then the first net, then the boy, then the closest net .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description! parts make me laugh and then parts make me think of being in the boy's position. As for it being out of focus, the white thing (i dunno what it is?) appears in focus for me (though I'm not gonna lie....i've been having eye issues lately so if i'm wrong that could be why..) It's sort of difficult for me to say what should be in focus....it's really a shame that that white thing is there. I feel like the message would be so strong if it was just the guy and the school. The white thing is awfully distracting. If you do reshoot, maybe try and find an angle where that white thing isn't there? I love the concept though - hope you get it to where you want it to be! Alex G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paige

    Yes, the focus is an obvious issue. I also find the goal post distracting. Perhaps the boys you speak of should be in this image...otherwise it is just a strangely composed image of a goal post and the back of a blurry boy.

    -Robyn

    ReplyDelete