Tuesday 28 February 2012

Family Take 2 - Locrin Stewart

HEY CLASS

So here's take two of my family shot. It's my father working in his studio. Most of my upbringing has been focused around art, in some way or another. Discussions of art theory and the principals of design at the dinner table, stuff like that (my father was also a senior exhibit designer at the Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa back in the '90's, and worked as an exhibit designer at a number of different other museums in Ottawa before then). As a result, my family, specifically my father, is what brought me into the arts and, eventually, photography. For this reason, I chose to photograph him at home in his element, working on the first coats of a piece. Other works in progress along the right and left sides of the frame bring the viewer in, and are a hint at the future and what he's working on—the finals will be far different from what's seen here, and at present only exist in his mind, and even there, they're more ideas than anything else.

Comments would be appreciated, but this image captures the essence of my father in the way that does him the justice he deserves.

2 comments:

  1. I quite like this shot. I love his stance, as if he's getting ready to embark in the next stroke. I like how candid it seems, like peeking in at this artist working without him knowing. I think you can crop more off on the left side.

    - Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this shot! I don't think any cropping is needed though, if you took out some of the left you would lose the painting
    Bre

    ReplyDelete