Wednesday 15 February 2012

Victoria Rigo - Family




A little bit of a different take, the picture I'm holding up is one I took of my grandma and her sister a while ago. I wasn't really wanting to be noticed taking the picture so it was rushed and its pretty messy because of that. The photo itself means a lot to me and although I've tried a bunch of times to get it to a place where I like it aesthetically it just hasn't worked. I got this idea from some portraits I once saw of photographers holding up one of their most well-known photographs. It was interesting because even though I had seen the photos so many times before they looked almost different held up by the photographer, I guess because they had a different context. I sort of had this impression that it took away from the importance of the aesthetics of the picture and drew attention to a pretty personal relationship between the photograph and the photographer, so that's sort of what I wanted to get at here.

I think I lost way too much information in my blacks which explains my floating torso... so I may have to reshoot - either way I'm happy to finally use this picture in some way, let me know what you think! 

5 comments:

  1. i am really liking this image, the lighting, the idea, the composition is all so sweet!.. the only think i would say is that your legs are hard to see.. but other than that , i really like it!
    nice work
    -Meabh McGrory

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know excatly what series your talking about and had similar feelings when looking at them. Maybe try to go back to them and see what kind of background etc they had. Although I must say I love the incorporation of the fabric? (the white thing? im just going to keep on assuming its fabric) in this image and the way you are kinda leaning almost. I definitely feel like you lose a lot in the blacks though like you said which is a sort of interesting look because its almost you immersing yourself in it because the thing that is important is the photograph itself. If you want to keep this and not reshoot Id try messing around with your blacks or even just making the photograph your holding a bit brighter. I really like your concept though

    - Jordynn Colosi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Jordynn, I'd say just bump the exposure on the entire photo just a bit (maybe not the curtain 'thing' lol) and it'll be a much stronger image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I really like the lighting in this shot, but if you just filled the shadows in your pants somehow it would be good. I also like how you're peering out from behind a curtain, contributes to the mood well.
    -alex h

    ReplyDelete
  5. besides the blacks i love the photo, yes more blacks! the negative spaces frame the concept very well.

    ReplyDelete